Search This Blog

Friday, June 28, 2013

Review Brief: How To Improve Your Speculative Fiction Openings, 2nd ed. by Robert Qualkinbush

How To Improve Your Speculative Fiction Openings, 2nd ed. by Robert Qualkinbush 

This little book talks about an important revelation that I haven't seen others talk about.  It's out in a new 2nd edition, and while it may be an improvement, I haven't yet discovered what is new about it.

The problem for began early with his of scenic.  He describes several opening as "not scenic," but I suspect that isn't what he means.  Rather, he's taken the literary term "scene" as a dramatic unit and turned it into an adjective.  So what I believe he means is that the drama of a story hasn't begun, but I'm still not sure if I agree or disagree unless I actually read the stories in question.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting little book that I recommend, but it will require you to think in his terms but also think around/through/over his ideas.  Worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment